If you would like us to consider stocking your book please read all the information on this page before emailing us.
We will get back to you as soon as we have had the opportunity to consider your proposal. Please bear in mind that we are a small team and this may take some time. Particularly since the start of the COVID pandemic, we have seen an increase in the volume of emails we receive to a sometimes unmanageable level. We aim to reply to all submissions, but this isn’t always possible.
What We’re Interested In:
We generally only take non fiction books of local interest / local history.
We very rarely take any works of memoir, fiction or books for children that have been self published or published by a hybrid publisher.
If you are a local author who has been published by a mainstream publisher and would like to tell us about your book we would be happy to hear from you.
What You Need to Do
Here are some key points to think about. They are taken from an excellent guide, ‘Getting Your Book Stocked in a High Street Bookshop‘, which you can find on the Booksellers Association website or download from the link below.
- Contact us via our contact form rather than in person – this gives us time to think about your proposal. Even if you want to bring the book in please don’t visit unannounced – if you contact us first we can arrange a quick appointment with the appropriate buyer.
- Give us a quick synopsis of the book and a little bit about who you are.
- What is the selling price and what will it cost us?
- How do we order it? Is it available through book trade wholesalers? How do we return unsold stock?
- What marketing and publicity will you be undertaking to direct potential customers to us?
- Look at the production quality – your book will have to compete for space and sales with books from publishers who invest a lot in design and presentation.
Please don’t be disheartened if we say ‘No’ to your book – what works for some bookshops doesn’t work for others. Our decisions about what to stock are based on our knowledge of our customers and what they like to read, what we have the expertise to sell, and what the level of local interest is likely to be.